June 7, 2010

Turning 30...

Chris and I both turned 30 this year. I'm a month older, something he enjoys reminding me about. Luckily this year I had all things baby to distract me from the trauma of hitting the big 3-0. Chris threw me a lovely tapas party, complete with sangria (juice for me), homemade dishes, amazing desserts by my sister and the mandatory birthday pinata. I had a lovely time and my sangria-soaked guests provided a lot of entertainment. I also enjoyed many birthday dinners with family, many of whom were thrilled to learn that I restricted birthday celebrating to just one weekend this year.





For my big birthday activity I wanted to see my favorite band, The Goo Goo Dolls, in concert in Las Vegas in early June. We stayed at the lovely Vdara in City Center. The hotel was amazing, but lacked easy accessability. We were also unprepared for the unbelievable heat. We did not transition from the balmy 65 SLC weather to LV 112 degrees well. Once checked in we changed and enjoyed a fancy dinner at Mandalay Bay. We walked and people watched on the strip for a while before our tired feet called us to bed. After a late start we did a little shopping and then fresh out of ideas, decided to visit Hoover Dam. I had never been before. We would have perhaps found it more interesting had the heat been a little more tolerable. Back at the hotel we flung our overheated selves into the pool, too hot to care that I was subjecting beautiful tourists to my huge belly. In the evening was the concert, held at the Palms. The venue was great and of course Goo was awesome. They played a few of their new songs. Johnny opted not to take this preggo out on tour with him, so Chris was stuck with me. Sunday morning we had an even later start and after grabbing a quick breakfast spent some time with my Aunt and Uncle who live outside of Vegas and then headed north to much cooler temperatures.


Chris' birthday was at the end of May. He had a weekend doing all things manly. His friends came over Saturday night to watch UFC. On Sunday he spent time painting his motorcycle and then we had our yearly picnic in his parent's backyard. It was less than romantic, but Jackson did serenade us. We did a little shopping and followed that up with dinner at a tapas restaurant downtown. It was a lovely little meal. On Monday I joined Chris and his brother at Superbike at Miller Motor Sportspark. While usually not my first choice in entertainment, but it was fun watching the bikes go around and around and crash. The rumble of the bikes made the baby dance. The people watching was also awesome. There were more dinners with family and lots of cake and cheese to be consumed. Yay 30!

No comments: