February 17, 2009

Updates...

What have we been up to? Oh, you know, stuff. We've been doing small house projects expecting that when the good weather hits the last place we'll want to be is inside. We've painted the kitchen, created a workout room, hung pictures and started putting together my laundry room.


For the past couple years when I've participated in Chris' hobbies with him, watching UFC or looking at old cars or motorcycle races I've done so knowing that payback would come his way. That time has come! Before I moved to Utah I spent a significant amount of my social time salsa dancing. I actually got into dancing as a way to spend more time with a guy I had a crush on, but it ended up being my saving grace. My family has always had a degree of social awkwardness, that I certainly was plagued with. By going dancing every week I learned how to have fun with strangers, participate in conversations and laugh at myself. Salsa never came easy to me. It took me a good year of constant dancing before I felt I could at least follow semi successfully. Once I arrived in Utah I let the salsa dancing lapse. I tried out a few local clubs, but never had any friends that would go with me and never got a good vibe from the places I ventured to on my own. Once I snagged Chris I let him know I wanted to take classes together. Chris suffers from 'white boy syndrome' and is terrified of looking dumb in public. So, I recruited our friends David and Natalie and we're all taking beginner salsa lessons. However, I think we're in a class that is beyond our skill level. The teacher is awesome, but lately we're all pretty frustrated with the process. The type of salsa we're learning is different from what I know, so I'm even stumbling around lost. But, we'll stick it out and will be hitting the competitions soon, I'm sure.


Meanwhile Chris caught himself a cold. A nasty, coughing cold. After a week with no improvement I finally talked him into seeing the doctor. They think he has walking pneumonia. He was really miserable and mostly unable to work for about a week and a half, but after a round of antibiotics he seems to be improving. The coughing has lessened and the frog voice is disappearing. We're convinced it's a result of him working too much. Last week his bosses even said, sorry we broke you, but we still need you work 16 hours today.



Valentines was lovely, despite my doubts that Chris would be recovered enough to enjoy it. We ran errands and attended our salsa class. Chris whipped up a gourmet dinner of steaks with a balsamic reduction and blue cheese, asparagus and onion and garlic steamed red potatoes. It was so delicious. We even had enough materials left that he made it all again for me last night. I love when Chris has his Martha Stewart kicks.

2 comments:

CrazyMonkeyHouse said...

He's such a good man. I noted that you even ate something oniony for him. That's love.

David said...

Chris the master chef! The food looks super tasty.